[osg-users] 2.6.1 release

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Wed Sep 24 09:02:36 PDT 2008

Sorry if that last email from me appeared a bit curt; I had an appointment
and wanted to at least get something off to you before I left my computer.
Here's more details...

I mentioned I use Mike's prebuilt binaries for Windows. Attached is a batch
file from Mike's svn tree that contains the package version numbers. You can
compare against your version numbers and see where you might be off. There
have been no changes to Mike's tree since OSG's 2.6.0 release.

> Compilation issues are...

Do you have these same issue when you build OSG v2.6 with these
dependencies? If so, then these issues aren't specific to 2.6.1 and should
not hold up its release.

> 1. The version of LibTiff I have doesn't create a debug
> version, so CMake issues a warning that says it will use the
> release version instead.  Any suggestions to fix this would
> be welcome.

I'm not sure why you aren't getting a Debug version of libTiff.

Assuming you're on Windows... Many will warn you to not mix Release libs
with Debug builds. However, I have found that you can mix them if the
library meets two criteria: 1) the library interface must not use STL, and
2) don't mix the heap (don't alloc memory in Release code and free it in
Debug, for example). libTiff appears to meet these criteria, as far as I
know, so you should be able to mix a Release libTiff with your Debug OSG.

> 2. I get errors with ReaderWriterGif (see below) which
> suggests that I've either got the wrong version, or I need to
> edit libgif's makefile to generate something that OSG can use.

See my first comment above. I'm curious if you see this with an OSG v2.6
build. Check the attached file for the version Mike used for his GIF
dependency.

> 3. A tool "genwrapper" is not recognised (see below for the full error
> message)

Thanks, I'll look into this. I haven't updated or rebuilt the wrappers at
all, so they might need to be updated.
   -Paul