[osg-users] setLODScale affecting near far planes?

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Mon Sep 22 07:46:03 PDT 2008

> Hi all again,
>
> Robert: for you last question; yes, I have near/far culling
> enabled and the near/far setting is
> compute_near_far_using_bounding_volume. If the near far
> modification that is taking place should be very small,
> somehow I am still getting quite significant jumps because
> some objects near the camera get culled when I would not like
> that to happen. When I enable culling for near/far planes, it
> seems like osg takes into account my preferred near/far
> planes and is NOT auto-computing. It does do some re
> computation as I change the LODScale. Why does this happen?

You have said on multiple occasions that you are "enabling near/far culling"
-- What exactly do you mean by that? Near/far culling is always enabled in
OSG and OpenGL, so I'm curious to know what function call you are making
that you believe is enabling near/far culling.

> Paul:
> >Do you get the same behavior when viewing your database in osgviewer
> >and hitting the * and / keys?
> >   -Paul
>
> Sorry Paul, but it is hard for me to say, because with
> osgviewer I only notice the terrain loosing or gaining
> detail, but since I am unable to dump the camera information
> in osgviewer I cannot compare it to my application's
> printouts of near far planes, but thanks for the advice.

If you don't get the dame behavior in osgviewer, then most likely this is a
bug in your own application somewhere, and not a problem in OSG.

You can dump the osgviewer camera information by editing the osgviewer
source.
   -Paul