[osg-users] setLODScale affecting near far planes?

Joseanibal Colon Ramos jcolon at email.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 19 15:01:15 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I am getting this rather weird effect when playing with the setLODScale
values in my application. I have a large pagedLOD terrain, with near/far
planes culling mode enabled for my camera, and I am looking at a certain
direction in the scene. I added osg's lod scale handler so that I can
modify the value interactively (with the * and / keys, just like in
osgviewer) and it turns out that as I change that value, and I dump my
application's debug information, I notice the the near/far planes do not
remain constant, although I am not moving around the scene and I am always
looking in the same direction. This causes problems because the clipping
planes change as a result of changing the LOD scale and my non-LOD objects
beyond the planes get culled.  I don't think that the clipping planes
should change at all if I am not moving my camera. I should still see the
objects that are within a constant near/far distance, and I should only
observe different level of detail on the LOD objects as I change the
scale. What am I missing here?
I am using osg.2.6.0 on a 64bit intel linux machine. Thanks,

-Jose