[osg-users] Problems with multi-monitor and DrawThreadPerContext mode

Serge Lages serge.lages at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 05:33:35 PDT 2008

Thanks again Robert for these informations.

I've made some tests and everything fails :

- I've tweaked osg::Object to have all the objects in DYNAMIC, it still
crash.
- I've installed the NVIDIA beta drivers, it doesn't change anything.
- I've tested the CullDrawThreadPerContext mode, still the same crash.
- I've tested with a simple model and not my whole application.

It only works on SingleThreaded mode, but the frame drop in this mode is not
acceptable. :/
I'll continue to investigate on the subject but I start to desesperate.

My application uses a CompositeViewer with different osgViewer::View for
each window, I'll try different setups to see if it still crash.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Robert Osfield <robert.osfield at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Serge Lages <serge.lages at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > As a side note, setting a drawable to DYNAMIC protects it from being
> > modified by the update traversal,
>
> No, it doesn't affect your ability to update, it doesn't affect the
> update traversal at all, it's just a hint from the app developer to
> the draw traversal that that object will be updated, so drawables and
> stateset that you update in the update traversal should have a
> DataVariance of DYNAMIC, the rest should be STATIC.
>
> > but if I remove a drawable (or its geode)
> > from the scene during the update, do I need to set it to DYNAMIC too ? In
> > other words, drawables in STATIC mode are the only ones which are never
> > modified nor removed from the scene ?
>
> Adding or removing Drawable or StateSet is safe, you don't need to
> protect this at all as the draw traversal retains it's own references
> to prevent the objects from getting deleted.
>
> Robert.

Serge Lages
http://www.tharsis-software.com