[osg-users] Profiler with OSG

Thibault Genessay tibogens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 04:33:22 PDT 2008

Hi Vincent

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Vincent Bourdier
<vincent.bourdier at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know... but I am under windows... and so I have to forget this one... :'(
> No one under windows ?

You could try IBM Rational Purify. It's quite a nice tool and you can
download a trial version.
(You can also try to port your code to Linux. You get a triple
benefit: you can cross-check your code for compiler-specific hidden
bugs, you can use Valgrind and your app will run under Linux.)

> Searching memory leaks, I use some libraries looking at leaks but it is very difficult to know  if a leak is really one or not, specially due to ref_prt<>.
> Is there any free profiler (memory, time, number of acces, ...) for windows or even for VS 2005 (not Team edition) to trace an OSG based program ?

I've never come across difficulties with ref_ptrs themselves. If you
don't create circular dependencies, they will free the memory they
point to and the memory leak detector will not report a false
positive. If you use the Microsoft compiler, do you get any reports
when leak detection is turned on ? (i.e. by calling
_CrtSetDbgFlag(_CrtSetDbgFlag(_CRTDBG_REPORT_FLAG) |
(_CRTDBG_LEAK_CHECK_DF)); at the beginning of your program)
If you do have reports here you obviously have a memory leak due to a
programming error, not related to ref_ptrs.

Regards

Thibault