[osg-users] Getting started with OSG and GLSL

Ümit Uzun umituzun84 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 01:53:27 PDT 2008

Hi Filip,

I have been studying GLSL in OSG like you :) I have made lots of search and
firstly you should learn GLSL with using in OpenGL programs.
Sources;
1 - http://www.ozone3d.net/index.php
2 - http://www.cs.lth.se/DAT135/
3 - http://graphics.tu-bs.de/teaching/lectures/ss08/CG2/
4 - http://opengl.org/documentation/glsl/
5 -
http://wiki.vislab.usyd.edu.au/moinwiki/Multimedia_Computing_and_Processing/Tutorials
6 - http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~lib175/materials.html
7 - http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/?q=wiki/GLSL_Basics
8 -
http://wiki.vislab.usyd.edu.au/moinwiki/Multimedia_Computing_and_Processing/Tutorials/OpenGL_Basics?highlight=(basics)|(opengl)
9 -
http://zach.in.tu-clausthal.de/teaching/cg2_07/literatur/glsl_tutorial/index.html
10 - http://www.clockworkcoders.com/oglsl/tutorials.html
11 - http://www.typhoonlabs.com/
12 - http://developer.amd.com/gpu/rendermonkey/Pages/default.aspx#prog
13 - http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/

and you can find much of them from Google but If you are newbie like me you
should first read http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/  and
http://www.typhoonlabs.com/ tutorials and learn the samples. And you can
look at RenderMonkey samples to grasp what you can do with glsl.

I think you can write your GLSL embeded osg scene in ive or osg like
glsl_confetti.osg, glsl_julia.osg and etc. For example I will planing to
create bouncing fish model with using GLSL vertex shader and embeded this
model to the osg file so I can get simple prepared bouncing model to use in
any program only loading fish.osg :)

Good Luck.

Umit Uzun