[osg-users] osgdem segmentation fault

benben benhongh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:03:09 PDT 2008

Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> This is almost certainly a driver bug.  Have a look at the support
> sits for the Intel hardware to see if there is any reports about
> problems with pbuffers/FBO's and any fixes that can be applied.
>
> In terms of workarounds, osgdem requires a graphics context, so could
> probably just use a standard graphics window, and it'll actually do
> this automatically if pbuffers aren't supported, but in your case it
> looks like GLX is claiming they are supported so OSG/VPB then goes are
> tries to create one and then it crashes because of a bug in the
> driver.  You could comment out the code that tries pbuffers, this is
> just a hack though and not something suitable for merging with SVN.

First, thanks for your detailed replies. It really drilled down to the
problem source and I am very happy about that.

I really don't have the time to do any hacking, not to mention I am an
entire novice to OSG and VPB, having been writing OSG apps since a month
ago.

That said, I'd like to know what are the odds if I try to generate the
terrain from another computer but still load it on this machine? That
is, does the terrain paging/rendering process touches the pixel buffer
part that's known now not working?

> The other solution is a hardware one - go buy yourself a cheap Nvidia
> card, plugin it in, enable the NVidia drivers and you'll be away.
> You'll get loads of performance, even on load end hardware and driver
> quality and features are way better.

As I mentioned in my reply to Guay, that this machine is a laptop so the
hardware replacement option is negative. The best I can do now is to
research for hopefully bug fixes in my graphics driver.

> Robert.

Thanks,
Ben