[osg-users] osgdem segmentation fault

benben benhongh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:55:32 PDT 2008

Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
>> Hardware: Intel Integrated Graphics G965
>> Driver:   The Intel graphics driver (intelfb.ko)
>> OS Kernel: Linux 2.6.24, if this matters.
>
> Yeah, integrated graphics generally don't fare well with FBOs or
> pbuffers. Hopefully it shouldn't crash though, it should tell you it's
> not supported and exit...
>
>>>     osgprerender cow.osg --pbuffer.
>>
>> This results in segmentation fault. Even without the --pbuffer option
>> it results in segmentation fault.
>>
>> So yes sorry for bothering you much Rob. It is not a osgdem bug.
>> However, it will be great if you can suggest a workaround or solution.
>
> Does Mesa support pbuffers or FBOs? It would be completely software,
> thus slow, but it might work...
>
> osgdem really needs a graphics context to do some of its processing, and
> in order not to pop up a graphics window it uses pbuffer rendering, so
> the only other alternative would be to get a better graphics card
> (though that looks like a laptop so you would probably need to run
> osgdem on another machine that has one).

Correct. This is a laptop. My desktop with a GeForce graphics card just
broke a week ago :( and I'm too busy to fix it. But this is completely
off-topic.

Instead I think I'll just try to hack with the newest release of
graphics driver but I really doubt it'd work.

The entire X11/GLX stack is very confusing btw.

> J-S

Thanks,
Ben