[osg-users] Shadow techniques (was: (no subject))

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Sep 18 06:50:23 PDT 2008

Hello Christopher,

> we want to switch between the shadow techniques at runtime. Sadly some
> shadows doesn't work correct. Would be cool if someone can help me with
> this.

In general, shadow techniques in the OSG are very much in their infancy
and are probably not production ready for the most part. The exceptions
IMHO are ShadowMap and SoftShadowMap which work well (except for the
minor bugs you noted below).

See
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/ProgrammingGuide/osgShadow
for some details. Some other shadow techniques are (possibly) coming
soon, and will likely be more robust than the current ones in addition
to being more high quality. So stay tuned.

Regarding ShadowMap and SoftShadowMap, you could make the required fixes
and submit them to osg-submissions (see
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/MailingLists/SubmissionsProtocol
).

Hope this helps,