[osg-users] vrml plugin problems

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Sep 17 13:34:05 PDT 2008

Hi Ben,

> I am trying to load a VRML file, but I get the error message:
>
> Warning: Could not find plugin to read objects from file “foo.wrl”.

[...]

> I compiled OSG 2.6.0 from src on Debian Etch.  I am using OpenVRML
> version 0.14.3.  Do I need a newer version of OpenVRML?  (I set the path
> to the OpenVRML includes as well as libopenvrml.so during the CMake
> configuration).

Did you verify that the osgdb_wrl.so plugin was compiled and can be
found? You can enable verbose debugging messages by setting
OSG_NOTIFY_LEVEL=DEBUG before running osgviewer, and that might show if
something is wrong there. It will print out where it looks for the
plugin, whether it finds it, and whether it loads it correctly or not.

If the plugin is there, is loaded (as printed in the debug messages) but
it still says that it can't find a plugin, it might mean that the plugin
depends on some other dynamic library which isn't being found at
runtime. This might depend on where OpenVRML is installed and whether
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes the right directory to find its dynamic
libraries (if any) - note I'm on Windows most of the time so I can't
really help more than that.

> I had VRML files working with OSG 2.4 a long time ago.  Back then I also
> set up the Inventor library during the install.  But I forgot what that
> library does, why it’s needed, and even where to get it.  Do I need it
> here too?

The Inventor plugin can also read VRML files, so if OSG was using that
one to read your VRML files before, it might mean that the OpenVRML
plugin never worked for you but you never knew it... :-)

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/