[osg-users] osgdem segmentation fault

benben benhongh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 06:58:56 PDT 2008

Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I'm afraid there is waaaay too little info about your setup to provide
> any real guidance.  VPB should just compile against an installed OSG
> without need for configuration.
>
> You don't mention which VPB or OSG version your are using, you also
> make no mention of the platform or compilers.  All this is important
> to understanding what might go wrong and how to fix it.

Sorry for the lack of information. The OSG version is 2.2 and the VPB
version is 0.9.1. I am running a Ubuntu Linux 8.04 64bit on an Intel
platform, if this is also relevant.

The osg installation is straight from the Ubuntu package repository
(binary install, as opposed to local rebuild).

For building the VPB I added an extra line to the CMakeLists.txt

     SET(GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR /usr/include/gdal)

so osgdem can be compiled.

I followed the standard

    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Everything seemed to be ok. For some reason my OS does not put 64bit
libraries in /usr/local/lib64, where the VPB libraries are, so I

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib64

This stops the "cannot find shared object" error from the loader.

And on executing

    osgdem

with no arguments, it simply quits with a segmentation fault error.

I also followed the VPB tutorial at

http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/VirtualPlanetBuilder

and despite the extra argument inputs I have the same error. So I reckon
I must have configured VPB wrong somehow.

Is there anything I overlooked?

Regards
Ben