[osg-users] Setting minimum hardward/drivers specs for osgVolume to OpenGL 2.0 era hardware

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 05:03:54 PDT 2008

Hi Adrian,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Adrian Egli OpenSceneGraph (3D)
<3dhelp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw that you added a new library called osgVolume,  what is planned for
> the near feature: ?
>
> ( ? ) color / transparency transfer function (1D)
> ( ? ) shading / lighting
> ( ? ) multi volume fusion
> ( ? ) ...
> ( ? ) image processing or should we adapt ITK as image processing library
> (DICOM,...)

The first step was the osgvolume example, which was initially
developed quite a few years ago, this served as a proof of concept.
I've added further experimental code to this example over the couple
of months, and will soon move some of this code into the new osgVolume
library to serve as a initial cut at volume rendering in a bit more
re-usable way than having the code stuffed into an example.   The code
won't be anywhere near it's final form though, it'll just be prototype
stuff and subject to major API revision and we move forward.

In this initial cut of osgVolume I exepct to have 1D transfer function
and lighting working (these already work in the osgvolume abiet in a
rather hacky form).   Multi-modal volume rendering is something that
will come much much later.

Data import has already been progressed, and now in svn/trunk we have
a dicom loader, that can either use DCMTK or ITK to load dicom files,
depending upon which of these libraries you have installed.

W.r.t ITK integration might thought has been to make provide adapter
functions/classes to convert data from osg::Image to ITK and back, if
we can keep this adapter code entirely in headers then we could
include an ITKAdapter header(s) as part of include/osgVolume, or
possible a itk subdirectory off include/osgVolume, without ever
needing to compile osgVolume itself with ITK.   ITK is a pretty big
library so isn't something I'm prepared to make a core dependency.