[osg-users] Optimizations and fps increasing problem

Gordon Tomlinson gordon at gordon-tomlinson.com
Wed Sep 17 04:11:25 PDT 2008

1)      I  doubt any one on this list can really help you with your first
question little question, as we have absolutely no information or knowledge
about your application, what you're doing, what data your using, it's simply
next to impossible to answer, apart from I would suggest your code is the
probably issue

2)      Yes Jpeg images have to be uncompressed, as to what memory that
take, you could create a visitor to traverse you models/scenegraph after you
have loaded it and get the osg::Textures from the models state and get the
image data, or open you jpegs in something like Photoshop and see it
uncompressed, on Irix you could run the images through imageinfo and get the
size, or just get the width/height and simply calculate the RGB/RGBA size
straight forward to do

3)      Use DDS if you want to use less texture

4)      Reference counted objects are deleted when their reference count
gets to zero see Paul Marts Quick Guide to OSG for more details and
http://dburns.dhs.org/OSG/Articles/RefPointers/RefPointers.html <http://>

Gordon Tomlinson

gordon at GordonTomlinson.com
IM: gordon3dBrit at 3dscenegraph.com