[osg-users] Seeking Information

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:54:53 PDT 2008

Hi Bob,

It's hard to know if that OSG is suitable for you.  It's certainly
capable of handling any of the graphics your through at it, given the
OSG maps almost all OpenGL including latest extensions, and has lots
of high end features like threading and paging.   The greatest
challenge for you will the shear amount of new things to learn,
knowledge of C++, scene graphs, real-time graphics, OpenGL are all
very useful to OSG users, if you enjoy graphics and learning new stuff
it'll be fun, but probably quite daunting for the first few months.

For yourself I'd guess the ideal tool would be one in Delphi, and
provides lots of high level facilities of the type of will require.
Alas there isn't any high level API's I know of that fit this bill so
you probably have to expose yourself to one of the C++ graphics
toolkits out there, all will like the OSG require a steep learning
curve.  There are other graphics toolkits that are in other languages
like Java and Python, but they tend to be less general purpose and
less capable.

I'd recommend picking a couple of modest goals for yourself
specifically for the purpose of learning about C++ ans scene
graph/graphics/OSG - like getting a simple viewer up on the screen,
using the osg examples as a base, then look to a features to help
explore the functionality and API of the OSG.   To help you along this
journey download the free version of Paul Martz's OpenSceneGraph Quick
Start Guide.  Links on the OSG's documentation page.

Also you aren't the first engineer to come by the OSG and try to learn
lots of topics all at once, so don't feel shy about ask newbee
questions, we all started in the same boat.

Good luck,
Robert.