[osg-users] osgViewer::readConfiguration problem

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:35:11 PDT 2008

HI Ben,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Ben Cain <bcain at digitalfusion.com> wrote:
> Is there a multiple window/camera example using the .view file format?

The list of view files can be found in
OpenSceneGraph-Data/.Configuration (I said config yesterday off the
top of my head, but alas I got this wrong..)

ls OpenSceneGraph-Data/Configuration/ -1
3DSphericalDisplayTopProjector.view
3DSphericalDisplay.view
AllScreens.view
PanoramicSphericalDisplayTopProjector.view
PanoramicSphericalDisplay.view
SingleScreen.view
SmallWindow.view

Of these AllScreens.view is the only multiple pipe one,
3DSphericalDisplay.view and Panormaic*.view files are distortion
correction ones using multiple slave cameras.   There is a big but
though, all these view files just wrap up the high level
as you are probably after.

Setting up low level Camera/GraphicsWindow is a feature that I have
planned, but it isn't yet coded in the .view format.  For this level
of control you'll need to use Producer .cfg files.  Which the language
is a bitter different w.r.t osgViewer and Producer a number of
concepts are the same - CameraGroup kinda maps to View, Camera maps to
Camera, RenderSurface maps to GraphicsWindow.

> Also (sorry to ask), but is there some sort of documentation?  I can always look at OSG source ... just asking :)

There is no documentation beyond the provided examples.  .view is so
limited right now there configuration files show the breath of
options... so lack of documentation won't hold you back, it'll be the
lack of low level controllability.

Once I fill out the full functionality of the .view format it'll be
able to do all the low level Camera/GraphicsWindow control and custom
distortion correction set up - you'll be able to include standard
scene graphs in the .view file to do this distortion correction, this
will be possible as the .view format is in reality just a an extension
of the .osg format.