[osg-users] fish eye projection

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Sep 11 06:40:31 PDT 2008

Hi Filip, Robert,

> Diving into 3rd party libs for setting up the rendering I'd personally
> avoid as they'll just complicate your application, and will limit the
> threading options you have in your viewer.

Personally I have integrated our rendering backend here at work with
both OmniMap and EasyBlend (still based on OSG 2.2, but moving to 2.6 soon).

* OmniMap does only fisheye correction
* EasyBlend does correction for a variety of display geometries (dome,
cylinder, etc) and edge blending for any number of projectors.

Though the initial integration needed some care, we now have a setup
that is not limited in terms of threading. We can use any threading mode
that OSG supports with both integrations. And in both cases the actual
integration needed just a simple class of about 150-200 lines, nothing
really complicated.

Yes, they are Win32 only though. But they were pretty straightforward to
integrate, and the automatic calibration done by EasyBlend (it uses a
digital camera and analyzes the resulting images to calibrate itself)
saves us a lot of time in the field.

Just sharing my experiences.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com