[osg-users] unrendered objects creating performance problems?

Joseanibal Colon Ramos jcolon at email.arc.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 9 17:08:21 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I was hoping someone has an idea about why I am encountering the following
problem: I have a big terrain and on certain viewing angles it contains a
huge amount of triangles to draw and puts a big strain on OSG's
performance. I tried playing around with near/far clipping planes to
improve performance, by cutting out a lot of the rendering, to the point
only a very small fraction (and even none at all) of the terrain is seen
through my camera. OSG's framerate, however, behaves just as if I was
looking at the whole thing and drawing all the triangles.

At certain angles, the framerate increases (where small number of
triangles would normally be - even thought I don't see anything),

and at other angles, it decreases (the same angles at which the viewer
normally tries to draw a large number of triangles - even though I can't
see anything). What is going on here?!? help!

-J