[osg-users] Custom mipmap loading? (Re: Texture not clear in far view)

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Sep 8 20:17:03 PDT 2008

Hi Gordon,

> Others include

I assume you mean other formats that can include mipmaps? (Why hasn't
everyone caught on to the advantages of replying inline nowadays? :-)

> NITF

Found NITF on Wikipedia, it seems to be terrain-specific like GeoTiff or
am I getting the wrong impression?

> Jpeg 2000

Cool, didn't realize that it supported mipmaps. But you won't get the
reduced texture memory usage that you get with a DXTn-compressed DDS,
will you?

> Mr Squid (eer mean. Mr Sid)

http://www.lizardtech.com/ right? Seems also similar to GeoTiff?

I was more looking for general texture image formats, so I guess DDS and
Jpeg2000 would be the most widely supported? Will OSG read the mipmaps
from a Jpeg2000 file automatically? (never used the format myself)

Thanks for the additional info.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/