[osg-users] 2.6 Mac OS X issues and some solutions

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:50:19 PDT 2008

Hi Filip,

I'm afraid the OSX side is still a bit in flux, do to a range of
reasons - not all under our control. Apple themselves have thrown a
couple of spanners in the works when moving from 10.4.x to 10.5.x,
Xcode have provided not be forward/backwards compatible so the Xcode
projects can't break quite easily if you don't use the same version
that the maintainer used and Apple SDK versions also a bit sensitive.
Cmake is in flux as, and we are also migrating to use Cmake under OSX.

I just so happened to be on OSX 10.5 box yesterday and compiling the
SVN trunk version of the OSG and encountered problems too.  The
initial show stopper was that I CMake 2.6.0 hung when running the
initial cmake or ccmake command.  Moving to Cmake 2.6.1 fixed this
CMake bug and got the GNUmakefiles built.  The OSG and Present3D then
built without problems.  I didn't on this occasion test the Xcode
project build form CMake though.

Since the OSX platform is so much in flux it does require active
maintenance to keep things working, in facts it probably the platform
that requires the highest effort maintenance wise, even more than
windows, yet has a much smaller user base, so for good support it does
require OSX user to be particularly proactive in helping maintain the
platform - this includes documentation as much as coding.  This
applies to the CMake community as well as the OSG community -
proactive OSX users/maintainers are gold dust!

Robert.