[osg-users] Fwd: SKYBOX ?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Sep 3 10:17:08 PDT 2008

Hello Nao,

> Would you have some advice about this, please?

Please don't send e-mail to someone directly when you post questions on
a mailing list. If I didn't reply, there are a couple possible reasons,
which may be that I didn't get to it yet, or that I don't have anything
to add (which is the case here). In any case, it's kind of like assuming
that your question takes precedence over whatever else I may be doing,
which is a bit rude. Like most people on the mailing list, I have paid
work to do, and answering messages on the list is done on the off-time
(while something compiles, or whatever).

> Now, when I try to use a 2048x2048 jpeg image for the texture, I get
> this message (after viewer.run()):
>
>  Scaling image 'skybox-1.jpg' from (2048,2048) to (512,512)
>
> And indeed the image seems rescaled to 512x512.  It does not have the
> quality of 2048x2048 image.
>
> Is there a way to use the 2048x2048 image without rescaing?  What
> component is enforcing this 512x512 restriction?

I have no idea why OSG would scale an image from 2048x2048 to 512x512.
As far as I know, OSG should only auto-resize an image if its dimensions
are not powers of two, and 2048 is a power of two...

You could place a breakpoint where the message originates (search for
"Scaling image" in the OSG sources, and place a breakpoint there) and
then run your application, and when the breakpoint is reached, examine
the call stack to see where the resize originates from.

Sorry I can't help more.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/