[osg-users] Recommended version?

Eric Sokolowsky esok.osg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 06:42:24 PDT 2008

Frank van Meurs wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the notification and I did indeed read that. I'd already
> stopped hoping for a working Xcode project, seeing as the project provided
> with the 2.5.5 release led to me fixing several errors and still lacking
> working build. So, knowing a bit more by now, maybe i shouldn't have lost
> faith that soon.

Yes, OSX is a big learning curve, even for someone familiar with Linux
and other *nix distributions. I am relatively new to the OSX platform
myself and am not an expert by any stretch, but I have learned a lot and
helped improve the build on OSX to a useful point, at least for my own
project. (The application I'm developing on OSX still has problems, but
that's another story.) I know how frustrating it can be to have things
not just work, and my work was designed to help with some of that
frustration. Many of the improvements I made were placed in OSG just
after you tried 2.5.5, in the run-up to the 2.6.0 release. There are
still issues to be sure (the ones I'm aware of are enumerated in the
README.txt), but I'm committed to helping with them.
> However, useful as all your support may be, the OS X story has by now come
> to an end for me. I'll (unfortuantely?) be fiddling around on windows in
> the future.

This is unfortunate. There should be lots of people who can help you
with issues on that platform. I am not one of them.

-Eric