[osg-users] Recommended version?

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 02:28:14 PDT 2008

Hi Frank,

OSX support is still in a bit of flux as we're moving across to using
CMake, and having to cope with Apple not porting Quicktime and Carbon
API's to be 64bit ready.   The XCode projects should work, as should
CMake but there might be a few caveates.  Have a look through the
osg-users archives over the last two months.

I personally develop under Linux, and on a rare occasion an OSX box.
Both Linux and Windows are the most common platforms for OSG users,
with OSX only constituting about 10% of the community the last time we
polled.

In terms of ease of build, Linux is probably the most straight
forward, but any other unix platform should be pretty close behind,
Apple being the most problematic of the unix platforms thanks to a few
oddities with its API's and frameworks.  Windows as a platforms throws
quite a few extra problems at developers, we try to cope with this in
our CMake build system, but one can't entirely fix all the caveats
inherent in VisualStudio.

Robert.