[osg-users] osgdem --terrain vs polygon count?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Sep 29 07:50:30 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I admit I don't know what causes osgdem --terrain to take so little time
to generate the same terrain that would take hours without that option.
I suspect that's part of the answer to my question. But I'd like to know
a few of the details if possible.

I was wondering why, when I generate a database with the --terrain
option, the geometry is a uniform grid (not simplified)? I would suspect
this would affect the run time speed on large terrain and where the rest
of the scene (other than the terrain) is complex?

So are we trading a (very large) increase in build speed for a slowdown
in run time speed on slower video cards? What is the magnitude of that
slowdown in practice (assuming it actually exists)?

Thanks,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/