[osg-users] Shaders, osg::notify and IP

Middleton, Colin (GE EntSol, Intelligent Platforms) Colin.Middleton at gefanuc.com
Wed Sep 24 02:46:20 PDT 2008

Hi all,

My colleague was recently doing some debugging and found that when
OSG_NOTIFY_LEVEL is INFO or higher all of the shader code comes out as
debug. Luckily because of the way the osg::notify code is written we can
prevent any slightly osg savvy 3rd party getting hold of my shaders by
setting the notify level in the application as the API call overrides
the environment variable. However this prevents me from using the notify
level as a means of debug in the future.

I know that many people consider shaders to be a important part of their
IP and so I was wondering what the community thought of this. Should
there be a way of preventing this debug being printed out as part of the
info? I wouldn't suggest removing it entirely as knowing the shader
source ( especially if you have constructed it in code ) can be
important to debugging.

Cheers,

Colin.