[osg-users] Volume rendering project

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 06:22:23 PDT 2008

Hi All,

Most of you will know that over the next year I'll be working on
medical visualization project, and one of the items being developed as
part of this is an osgVolume library.  This work is being carried as
part of the "Joint Medical Visualization Project" that is pilot
project being carried out Aberdeen University, the Digital Learning
Foundation and my company (OpenSceneGraph Prof. Serv.).   To give you
a bit of background here's a few links:

  Preliminary deliverables for the OSG part of the project:
         http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Community/Tasks/osgVolume

  The "Joint Medival Visualization Project" wiki:
         http://jmvp.pbwiki.com/

  The Digital Learning Foundation website:
         http://www.digitallearningfoundation.org/higher/osgvolume.html

All the software developed for this project will be open sourced,
which will benefit a much wider audience that just the JMVP, and it's
my hope that the OSG community and other open source communities will
not only benefit but also take an active role in testing, help develop
and extended the body of work.  In previous emails that touched
briefly on the osgVolume work various parties have contacted me
directly, or shown interest on osg-users.  To help coordinate the
various groups that are interested in osgVolume development I've put
up a wiki page for the various groups to make their project details
and needs:

   http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/VolumeRenderingInterestGroup

Feel free to chime in on this thread too :-)