[osg-users] Which File Formats / Plugins support multi-texture?

David Spilling david.spilling at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 14:38:26 PDT 2008

Dear All,

We're doing some work on our art path, and trying to determine which model
file formats preserve multi-texture when read by OSG.

I.e. we define models in our modelling package with texture unit 0 =
diffuse, texture unit 1 = specular map, 2 = bump map etc. (the details
aren't really important). Unfortunately, most - if not all - of the
intermediate file formats (OBJ, 3DS etc.) seem to lose anything above the
first - diffuse - texture. We use shaders to actually draw the models - note
that this isn't a question about how to render normal maps in OSG.

So does anybody know off the top of their head which file formats will get
into OSG with multiple layers still intact?

Thanks in advance,

David