[osg-users] HMD and Manipulators

alessandro terenzi a.terenzi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 03:08:54 PDT 2008

I'm going to use a head-mounted display with integrated head tracker in my
osg application. The tracker sensors, when activated, actually replace the
mouse, so for instance is possible to move the cursor on the desktop just
moving the head. I wonder how to use it inside an osg application, in
particular I thought to modify one of the provided manipulators but, since I
still don't know how manipulators work internally, I'd like to ask an advice
about how to proceed or where to start.

Looking at examples, it looks like that the DriverManipulator could be very
useful for my goal, because it already lets me move the head to the left and
to the right but I cannot just move the head up and down, so I think it
would be a good idea to start from that manipulator.

Is still a better way to do it?

Anyway, if I have to implement a new manipulator, what should I know about
them? How do manipulators work in general?

Thank you.
Alessandro