[osg-users] osgviewerQT --QOSGWidget cannot create context?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Sep 8 11:43:59 PDT 2008

Hi all,

We'll probably be using Qt for our next GUI project with OSG, and so I
started looking into the osgviewerQT example.

First of all, it seems to me that the most powerful way to use it is
using QOSGWidget (as a base) instead of AdapterWidget, since the latter
uses GraphicsWindowEmbedded and thus limits you to SingleThreaded mode.
Am I right on this? Are there other factors that would influence the
decision to use one or the other?

Now, I'm having troubles with QOSGWidget using OSG from SVN updated
today and Qt 4.4.1 on Windows Vista (VS 8.0). Running "osgviewerQT
--QOSGWidget cow.osg" gives me this error:

   Windows Error #2000: [Screen #0] GraphicsWindowWin32::setWindow() -
   Unable to create OpenGL rendering context. Reason: The pixel format is
   invalid.

Even though the code in void QOSGWidget::createContext() looks to me
like it's almost identical to osgViewer::View::setUpViewInWindow()
(except for the inheritedWindowData). Also, the resulting traits look
sane to me. Why would it say the pixel format is invalid?

The message is emitted from
osgViewer::GraphicsWindowWin32::setWindow(HWND), when the context is
being created ( _hglrc = ::wglCreateContext(_hdc); ).

Has anyone run into this before? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/