[osg-users] OSG-based excavator simulator

Ulrich Hertlein u.hertlein at sandbox.de
Thu Apr 28 20:12:51 PDT 2011

Hi J-S, hi Paul,

On 29/04/11 5:15 , Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
>> How flexible is your art pipeline / rendering process for loading
>> arbitrary models? Could you replace that excavator with some arbitrary
>
> I'm surprised you're asking me this type of question...
>
> An artist is really needed in order to get any good looking models, IMHO. Doing too much
> procedurally just becomes incredibly complex and gives so-so results most of the time, but
> you end up handling lots of corner cases and skirting around visual artifacts.
>
> In our case, we have an in-house modeler who makes models especially for real-time use.
> When we need a new vehicle for a simulator, he will typically start gathering as many
> reference photos as possible and then make the model. He'll then figure out what sections
> will most benefit from having normal and specular maps (where there's not much fine
> detail, they're not needed, and a simpler shader can be used).

Maybe what Paul was asking about (and what I always like to learn from other people's
setups) is:
 are the different textures (normals/specular maps) and shader assignments all set up when
you get them from your modeller?  Or do you have to do additional tweaking from within
your program?

Cheers,
/uli