[osg-users] osgDB ifstream / ofstream conflict

Christiansen, Brad Brad.Christiansen at thalesgroup.com.au
Wed Apr 27 23:55:27 PDT 2011

Hi,

This seems to be the same / related to an issue raised some time ago with VS2010.

When I build VirtualPlanetBuilder with VS2010 I get errors complaining about duplicate definitions of the stream destructors (cant remember the details of hand). The same code works without issue on non-windows platforms and all other VS compilers tried.

As I don't have time to look into the issue I simply force the link to complete with multiply defined symbols.

A quick search through my local OSG-users archive found the thread + message included bellow. Do a search through the archives around this topic and you should find all the details.

Cheers,

Brad

Re: [osg-users] OT: VS2010 LNK2005 problem related to ostringstream

Ok, I have localized the problem.

For example, the class osgDB::fstream:

class OSGDB_EXPORT fstream : public std::fstream
{

};

which just inherits from std:.fstream causes the symbols of std::fstream to be exposed into osgDB.dll

This effectively means that It might cause problems for people linking against osgDB.dll later on.
Same goes for inheriting from std::string, std::ostringstream etc.

This must obviously be a bug, a very serious one in VS2010.
We had a class derived from std::ostringstream, which exposed the symbols in the vtable for the class:

namespace ns
{
class Notify : public std::ostringstream
{
};
}

Using depends.exe to analyze the dll-file gives:

const ns::Notify::`vftable'{for `std::basic_ostringstream<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >'}

My issue was reported to the msdn forum. Their first take was: Oh you use CMake, thats not our product :-)
But in later threads, they tried to reproduce the problem without luck...
So if you manage to reproduce this in a small example, go ahead and post it. We must make them aware of this problem.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/191de00a-53c9-4bd9-9cb6-e844eb224ca2

/Anders