[osg-users] [build] Multi-threading crashing on start-up (2.8.3, XP, VS2008)

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 03:17:42 PDT 2011

Hi Tom,

There isn't an build option to enable multi-threading of the viewer,
the OSG will always build with OpenThreads and have a multi-thread
capable viewer, the only limitation is on how the graphics contexts
are created - you have to use the OSG's native creation of graphics
contexts to do multi-threading, and can't use the
GraphicsWindowEmbedded functionality for grafting the OSG into
existing apps, as this doesn't enable all context mechanisms required
to multi-threaded, multi-context GL.

I would suggest trying out different threading models with OSG
examples like osgviewer to see if they all work fine, this would at
least show whether there is build issue.  Then once you are confident
that there isn't a build issue then move on to testing your own app.

Robert.