[osg-users] [vpb] vpb generated .osga model seems disturb shared memory in qt4

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 10:11:58 PDT 2011

Hi Lv,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Lv Qing <donlvqing at msn.com> wrote:
> I just notic that since osg2.9.8 there is some improvement of VirtualPlanetBuilder suppot and DatabasePager memory management and QT support.Maybe I should try this?

The latest 2.9.12 dev release does have improvements in thread safe of
the pager, but you have to really thrash it to see these problems in
older versions of the OSG so I'd guess that 2.8.4 is probably fine.
There won't be any harm in trying 2.9.12 out though is pretty API
compatible.

As for your specific problems, the OSG itself doesn't use shared
memory at all, and doesn't use any clever memory tricks so should just
operate independantly from Qt and what ever it does on the memory
front.  The exception to this would be if Qt itself is reimplementing
malloc/free and new/delete in which case you really have to look at Qt
for tracking down what the problem is.

My guess is that use of paged databases on the OSG isn't directly the
problem, rather it might just be stressing the system more such that
eixsting problems in other codes are brought to the fore, so it's as
much just a coincedence rather than direct cause and effect.