[osg-users] SVN Trunk / TextNode

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Thu Apr 21 07:49:53 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 15:46 +0100, Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Jeremy Moles <jeremy at emperorlinux.com> wrote:
> > I noticed a file, TextNode.cpp, in the text3D example src directory. Is
> > this a scratchpad-file for a future (possible) interface? I'm liking the
> > extensibility of the design so far, it could work out really well...
>
> TextNode is an experimental approach to providing text functionality.
> The key aim of the class and supporting classes is making the process
> of creating and position text more flexible.  When I returned to
> completing the TextNode implementation it will replace the exisitng
> Text and Text3D classes, and should make it possible to introduce
> other backend implementations of text beyond the 2D quad and 3D
> geometry approaches, my hope was that your own work in text would fit
> into this approach as well.

That is exactly what I was thinking as well. The backend and layout
power could still be powered but a sophisticated layout engine like
Pango (or Harfbuzz), but could continue to use a standard and well-known
OSG interface.

I don't know if you have plans in the next week or so to make more
changes to TextNode.cpp, but if not, I may make a few adjustments to it
and submit a patch or two...