[osg-users] OSG-based excavator simulator

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Wed Apr 20 08:11:13 PDT 2011

Hi J-S -- It looks great. But I do have a couple questions.

How flexible is your art pipeline / rendering process for loading arbitrary
models? Could you replace that excavator with some arbitrary CAD machinery, such
as a tractor, and get the same visual fidelity? Or is there quite a bit of
per-model hands-on modeling time in the art pipeline to create the necessary
specular and normal maps, dirt, scuff marks, etc?

Also, how are you doing the transparency (e.g., the excavator cab windows)? Is
that simple RenderBin back-to-front rendering, or are you using an
order-independent technique? If the latter, how are you implementing it?

Are the trees in the background simple billboards, or truly 3D so that the
viewpoint can be placed inside them?

Is the atmospheric scattering simple OpenGL fog, or something more complex?

I didn't notice any screen-space post-rendering effects (such as depth of
field), is that correct? If I'm wrong, what screen-space effects are you doing,
and did you encounter any difficulties with generalizing them into your
rendering system?

I'm always looking for more general ways to make stuff like this work, so I'm
just trying to figure out how much of this demo was general-purpose, and how
much was non-general, suitable only for demos.

Thanks,
    -Paul

--
   -Paul Martz      Skew Matrix Software