[osg-users] Meta-data in core OSG - project started

Peter Amstutz peter.amstutz at tseboston.com
Fri Apr 15 07:10:38 PDT 2011

My initial impression is that this seems pretty well thought out, but a
little incomplete.  Some comments:

- The ComponentContainer interface is lacking a way to iterate over all
values.

- The add/find/delete methods on ComponentContainer should take the
owner osg::Object as a parameter.  This is necessary if you want to
share a single ComponentContainer instance across many nodes, for the
case where the ComponentContainer is actually a front end to a separate
data store.

- For serialization, storing simple value types is pretty
straightforward.  The harder part is dealing with compound types
(structs/classes) and/or containers (map/vector).  Perhaps there is a
way to leverage osgIntrospection?

On 4/15/2011 6:30 AM, Sukender wrote:
> [cross-post osg-users/osg-submissions]
> Hi Robert, hi all,
>
> We often discussed about handling name-value pairs in core OSG. Now it's time for action!
> Grégoire Tarizzo and I wrote a first specification document about a metadata system. We would like you (I mean all those interested in the subject) to review it and give your feeling and feedback. Please take this document as an "advanced proposal".
> We *WILL* for sure code a first version of the meta-data system. But even if we tried to cover most aspects and most usages, wee need you to ensure this submission to be widely accepted.
>
> Thank you very much.
> Happy reading!
>
> Sukender
> PVLE - Lightweight cross-platform game engine - http://pvle.sourceforge.net/