[osg-users] [osgPlugins] How to read/write/access OpenFlight Surface Material Code (SMC) and Feature ID (FID) ?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Apr 14 10:49:01 PDT 2011

Hi Robert,

> Just a small point worth mentioning... The osg::StateSet class does not have any members of type DescriptioList, at least not in OSG 2.8.3.
> Only osg::Node and derived classes have a DescriptionList as far as I can tell.

Hah, a small point but well worth mentioning!

Somehow I confused descriptions and UserData. UserData is in
osg::Object, which both StateSet and Node inherit, and I assumed it was
the same for descriptions.

Well then, sorry for causing such a big discussion over nothing!

> But having started this line of thaught don't you think that one should be able to store descriptions in the state set?

I think there was some discussion about turning UserData into a
container for various types of metadata... Or was that the description
list? :-)

IIRC, this was actually rather ingenious, as it allowed storing many
types of data in a type-safe way, but if there was nothing (as will be
the case most of the time) didn't take any more space than the current
UserData (one pointer).

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/