[osg-users] [osgPlugins] How to read/write/access OpenFlight Surface Material Code (SMC) and Feature ID (FID) ?

Robert Ioiart rioiart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 08:19:14 PDT 2011

Paul,

Thanks again for the reply.
Indeed, my main concern was the fact that storing the data as a stateset attribute could mess-up other things mainly the state sorting for rendering.
On the other hand, storing these values as descriptions for geodes would mean that this data would be stored for each geode in the scene (which could add up to a lot of data right? )
The reason I was thinking of storing FID and SMC in the stateset, even if it has nothing to do with rendering, is the fact that geodes reference the state set essentially as a pointer, for instance in a sample OSG file I converted from a FLT I noticed that each state set is defined only once and then each geode has an entry referencing the state set by its unique ID.

            Geode {
              DataVariance STATIC
              Use StateSet_0
            }

Neverthelss it seems a bit out-of-place to store non visual properties in a datastrcuture designed to control rendering.

I guess I'll use the DescriptionList then. :|

Thank you again!

Robert

Read this topic online here: