[osg-users] [build] cmake build questions

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Apr 11 07:07:36 PDT 2011

Hi Gianni,

> 1) I would like the generated lib files to be put in a specific directory.

Set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to the directory where you want things to be
put after the build, and then build the INSTALL target.

BTW, I personally prefer having CMake generate Visual Studio project
files (which you can use anytime you need them), and then using devenv
/build ... to automate building in a build system. See this page for
some examples of this command:

http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Build/CDash

I just find using a single set of build files both when I need to look
at OSG source and when automating the build makes it easier for me.

> 2) I would need to use 3rd party libs such zlib, libjpeg, libpng and freetype to build some plug-ins. What should I add in cmake command line?

If you really want to run CMake from the command line, you can use the
CMake GUI to find out what the options are for each 3rdparty lib you
need to use (be sure to enable Advanced view to see all the settings,
they'll generally have the form <libname>_INCLUDE_DIR,
<libname>_LIBRARY, <libname>_LIBRARY_DEBUG). Then add these options to
your CMake command line (-D<libname>_INCLUDE_DIR=C:\...)

Or if you use a 3rd party package you might just need to set
ACTUAL_3RDPARTY_DIR to the root of the 3rdparty directory.

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/