[osg-users] [3rdparty] Cloud node kit

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Sat Apr 9 15:42:17 PDT 2011

On 4/9/2011 12:26 PM, Muhammed Kalkan wrote:
> I m in need of distributed rendering and i thought OSG supported this natively.

  To a degree, yes.

> 1-Should i use osgVisual just for distributed rendering (3 rendering machines with 3 different projectors)? I dont think i need anything else from the package.

  I don't know what osgVisual's distributed rendering capabilities are beyond what OSG
provides, but it would appear it offers something that base OSG doesn't. I suspect you may
find it useful to utilize these capabilities, since someone found them compelling enough
to write!

> Do ephimeris and sky model included in osgVisual?

  I don't believe osgVisual itself includes ephemeris/sky capabilities if you're not using
Silver Lining. I could be wrong though.

> 2-If OSG is sufficent for distributed rendering, is there an example how to achieve it?

  I believe the osgcluster example is about all OSG really offers. There's only a demo of
basic coordination of viewpoint, nothing really about keeping the scene synchornized or
anything. Some people employ VRJuggler for this purpose -- it can be used with OSG. But,
if osgVisual gives you what you want in one package, I'd say go with it. Others may be
able to comment more on distributed rendering on OSG.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.