[osg-users] [3rdparty] Cloud node kit

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Sat Apr 9 08:37:04 PDT 2011

On 4/9/2011 12:53 AM, Muhammed Kalkan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been looking for a cloud nodekit or opensource library to use with OSG. Is there such library available ? What i want to achieve is to have volumetric clouds, layer kind of clouds and lightning effect.

  Silver Lining is not F/OSS, but works with OSG:
http://www.sundog-soft.com/docs/html/usage.html

  OSGVisual has an architecture for integrating Silver Lining:
http://www.osgvisual.org/projects/osgvisual/

> I am learning GLSL and i know that we change rendering pipeline default capability to obtain awesome effects. But i have a few questions that i cant find their answers anywhere
> 1- Do we use GLSL for computing aswell? Or sould we use OpenCL or CUDA for computing?

  Depends on what you mean by 'computing' GLSL is used for computing shading and graphics
stuff, but not general purpose computation. OpenCL and CUDA can be use for more general
purpose things, but still isn't for everything.

> 2-I still cant figure out when to use GLSL. I mean sometimes we dont use shading languages but again obtain nice effects. For example i cant decide if a GLSL code must be used for a cloud lightning effect (I mean if do we need one or not). Is there a source that you can direct me to learn these differences and get a grip of GLSL concept more deeply?At least i want to be able to decide and say "hmm we use GLSL here or we dont".

  Use GLSL when regular OpenGL Fixed Function can't do what you want. where that line is,
depends on what you want to do.

> 3-Can we create procedural models (like animated grass) by using GLSL. I remember GLSL cant create vertexes but to modify them. Cg could do it ?

  Sort of. You can dump a big bin of points or primitives into GLSL code and let your
shader modify them to put them where you want. Or, you can use a Geometry Shader that can
create primitives from scratch.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.