[osg-users] Barenaked FBO-based-Viewer without window

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Fri Apr 8 20:28:26 PDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 3:54 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> An FBO is not a context - it's an object that uses an existing context to do its work. So
> you need an existing context to be able to use an FBO.
> Contexts can be one of 2 flavors. Either onscreen (GraphicsWindow) or offscreen (pbuffer).
> Using FBOs is actually orthogonal to using pbuffers. You use pbuffers when you need a
> context that will not show up onscreen...

  Hmm. I always understood FBOs to be an improved (and portable) version of pbuffers,
since you have to use platform-specific stuff to create a pbuffer (well, OSG does it for
you, but it still has to use wgl stuff).

> In any case, to use FBOs you need a context, one way or the other.

  I'm going to have to go back and read up on my reference material again. I thought for
sure there was supposed to be a way to use FBOs without pbuffers.

> Hope this helps,

  Thanks for the info.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.