[osg-users] Mac NVidia Point / clipping issue?

Andy Skinner Andy.Skinner at mathworks.com
Fri Apr 8 13:40:32 PDT 2011

This will sound like a reach, and I can't easily make a simple case to show it.  But I'd like to know if this rings a bell with anyone.

We've seen geometry disappear when in the same scene as a point, on NVidia 7300 on a Mac.

If I comment out the part of our code where we set the Point StateAttribute onto the StateSet, the geometry does not disappear.

If I remove the ClipNode from the scene, the geometry does not disappear.

Is there a way, either in OpenSceneGraph or in the NVidia driver, that specifying some of the things that the Point does (point size, attenutation, fade threshold) might affect clipping for other geometry?  Might point attenuation occupy some slot on the card for points that is used for a clip plane for other geometry?  (That's a wild guess.)  I don't know that it is the attenuation--just something specified by Point.  I've tried turning off the extensions related to points, but it didn't have an effect.

This seems like a long shot, but changing either of those situations does make the geometry appear again.

We are using OSG 2.8.3.  I've not yet been able to run one of the examples, or we'd try to show it in osgpoints.

thanks
andy