[osg-users] OSG plugin for browsers

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Thu Apr 7 18:43:13 PDT 2011

Hi everybody,  nice to see again interest on this topic

The following link is old, I' ve moved stuff on different repos:

"latest" windows stuff is available as a bazaar checkout at

http://rvn05.plx.cineca.it:12000/files/virtualrome/bazaar_repo/BrowserEmbed/test_merge/

This is a (quite confused and uncleaned) mix of our own osg
"application" (specialized manipulators, node visitors and event
handlers) + some experiments on wrapping mainly under windows with
different approaches.

Under Windows (and Linux) I have tried the "out of process" tecnique:
The browser plugin is kept minimal and it just spawn another process
where all the OSG code lives, under windows the plugin process
pass the window id to the osg app that in turns subclass it and then
start the viewer.
The main reason for doing that derive from our first attempt of osg4web
in VirtualRome.org project that was living in the same FFox process and
  was affected by browser crashes on repeated reload.

Under Linux, we have a simpler experiment using Firebreath and Gtk Plug
/ Socket to allow external process.

the linux stuff is a Bazaar branch at lp:osg4weblinux

We have also an example on OSX but it can not use out of process.

We would be really happy to share ideas, suggestion and code, as this is
really a though field...

Our short term plan is to:

  consolidate the repo and build structure, possibly migrating to social
coding platform (bzr, github..... suggestion welcome)
  separate our Application specific code from the (possibly) general
plugin stuff
  use FireBreath for all the platforms to provide browser independence
and minimal  javascript wrapping

see weather out of process is really useful for stability even with
current browser architecture:

longer term:

setup consistent deployment across browser (we have experimented firefox
only embedding inside extension, as found in
define javascript helpers and html test pages
see if  rendering abstraction could be implemented within FireBreath

We' ll post as soon as we have better code, any suggestion or
contribution welcome

P.S

All the code is currently  HIGHlY experimental (read messy).
As we do not have cleanly separated the application code from plugin
code,  the license is to be considered GPL , as soon as we will succeed
in cleaning we' ll put the correct license and copyright disclaimer on
top of all source files. We are open to release the code that is
perceived as useful with the same license as OSG.

the Authors are

Luigi Calori
Carlo Camporesi
Bruno Fanini