[osg-users] OpenSceneGraph-2.8.4-rc3 now tagged

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Thu Apr 7 08:25:20 PDT 2011

On 4/7/2011 6:47 AM, Vincent Bourdier wrote:
> Hi Chris
> Thanks for this release, I just build it on WinXP and VS2010.
> No errors, and the version number in the DLL file name is set :-)
> Just to be sure, is it expected that the DLL file name number is the same for OSG 2.8.3
> and 2.8.4 ?

  Well, it was intended that way. 2.8.4 was intended to be "2.8.4 builds on VS2010" and
would have been binary-identical when building on VS2008 (and everything else 2.8.3 built
on previously). Robert threw in some changed to make it build with a newer version of
ffmpeg. I can't speculate about whether that changed the signature of the binary API or
not honestly, but I suspect it may have. So now, we probably will need to bump the so/DLL
version number?

  Once the version number is bumped or the API signature changes, it is no longer a
drop-in-binary-without-recompiling-apps replacement for 2.8.3 as we had originally hoped.

  Can anyone with more experience in these matters comment?

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.