[osg-users] ATI driver quality?

Christian Schulte Christian.Schulte at onera.fr
Tue Apr 5 23:53:40 PDT 2011

Hi Chris,

we are using on our helicopter flight simulator build with osg 2.9.11
the ATI Radeon HD5870 withh ATI Eyefinity 6 with 1 Go of DDR5 under
Windows 7. I agree with J-S on the fact that the drivers are much more
stable than before in concern of OpenGL. However the ATI Catalyst
drivers are still heavy and some upgrades make the application crash due
to incomplete or incorrect implementation of OpenGL 3. Many bug-fixes
have been made by AMD/ATI but some problems still remain.
Let's say that once you have found a stable driver version, you should
keep it as long as possible and only upgrade if you need some new
functionalities.
In our case we took the ATI card for the Eyefinity technology (6 screens
on the same card, and the possibility to rule up to 4 cards in a PC).
I don't know the quality of ATI drivers under Linux (I don't neither
know which platform you want to use...), maybe some other people may be
of any help for the Linux side.

Cheers,

Christian