[osg-users] LOD Node

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Sun Apr 3 10:06:22 PDT 2011

On 4/3/2011 10:59 AM, Martin Haffner wrote:
> I think I know what you mean. You said a LOD node is meant to be used with roughly the same geometry and I feared it would be a problem to add the geometry of a road segment and all the trees under the same node since the tree bounding spheres differ a lot from the road segment bounding sphere.

  But, the LOD is the bounding sphere of everything under it. So, the bounding sphere of
the high-LOD road and trees will be nearly the same as the low-LOD version.

> But I guess thats no problem because the road segment sphere is so huge it roughly encases all the "little" tree bounding spheres and thus the group node bounding sphere of the road and the trees would roughly be of the size of the road sphere. Thus the trees would not change the LOD behaviour very much. Is this right?

  No. Ignore the road sphere and the tree spheres. What's important is the sum of both.

  If it's important to you, you could always set the center and radius manually, so that
they're always the same.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.