[osg-users] LOD Node

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Sun Apr 3 09:36:55 PDT 2011

On 4/3/2011 10:25 AM, Martin Haffner wrote:
> I see. One more little question: I have a lot of objects (for example trees) along a road segment.
> Sure, I could give each tree an LOD node (one LOD node for each tree) but I guess it would be smarter if I did use the same LOD node for the segment. As I said I want to make a LOD node for each road segment and each LOD node has 3 child geodes. osg will pick one child node (based on the distance) and depending on which child node it picks I want to render all corresponding trees of this segment in the same level of detail.
> For example: Lets look at road segment2. Segment2 has one LOD node with 3 ranges. Openscenegraph picks the last one (the low poly one) because the node is far away. Now I want to render ALL objects along this lane in low polygon mode too. If I render a road segment with high tessellation I want to render ALL objects of this road segment with high tessellation too etc.
> How could I achieve this with osg?

  Just make one LOD Node for each segment. This should have multiple children, one for
each level of detail. These children should be Groups. Each Group should have children for
the road, and trees.

  If that doesn't explain it well enough, I can elaborate, but I must go grocery shopping now.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.