[osg-users] LOD Node

Martin Haffner struct at gmx.net
Sun Apr 3 08:38:11 PDT 2011

The question I am asking this: I have a long road (lets say 3km) and I want to divide the road in segments (say 200m per segment). Now I want to use LOD for the segments. For example if the camera is close to segment 2, segment 2 should be rendered with high poly count. The adjacent segments 1 and 3 with medium poly count and segments with are even further away with low poly count.

How would I achieve this with openscenegraph (I am very new to osg)?
My current idea: One root group node for the whole track with N child group nodes (one for each segment). Then each segment node (of type group) has one child: an LOD node with 3 children: 3 geodes with high, mid and low polygon geometry entries.
Is this correct or am I totally wrong?

Read this topic online here: