[osg-users] Nvidia OpenGL driver error message?

Pavel Perina pavel_p at seznam.cz
Thu Apr 28 13:01:27 PDT 2011

Hi,
I discovered same problem in our application which is not build on the OSG engine.
I found this error occurs sometimes when application is running out (or using too much) memory or memory is too fragmented or possibly GPU is running near its memory). In my case faulty function is glBufferDataARB (GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, bufSize, bufPtr, GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB) when bufSize is around 450MB (more memory means that realloc fails earlier so function is not called, less memory causes no problem). This function usually returns error GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY, but sometimes driver kills the application instead.
It's possible that more functions are affected (FrameBuffers, RenderBuffers, etc.), but this error is hard to reproduce.

I tried to report this behavior to nvidia customer care.

Pavel

Read this topic online here: