[osg-users] [build] Multi-threading crashing on start-up (2.8.3, XP, VS2008)

Tom Appollo tappollo at harris.com
Mon Apr 25 18:13:33 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I had been running my app based on OSG 2.8.3 on a VS2003 build (XP machine) for a while. However, I'm now moving the app to VS2008 so, I got a clean 2.8.3 source, pulled the latest 3rd party VS2008 binaries and configured CMake to build it. No problems with the build.
(NOTE: Not ready to move on past 2.8.3 yet)

When my code is ported over and the OSG libraries are added in, when app starts up, if my derived CompositeViewer exectues the line:

   setThreadingModel(ViewerBase::CullDrawThreadPerContext);

(which was in the original VS2003 2.8.3 build and it ran fine)  with VS2008, it immediate crashes at the start of the frame being displayed.

If however I replace it with

   setThreadingModel(ViewerBase::SingleThreaded);

the app will run but as a single thread which isn't all that desirable as all work stops if I pop up something (e.g. user dialog).

Is there something I forgot, I didn't see anything specific in the CMake listing regarding enabling threading (the one reference to OpenThread is set for dynamic).

Thank you for any insight you may be able to offer!

Cheers,
Tom

Read this topic online here: